- Person who suffers from tinnitus and/or hyperacusis
- Motivation to attend clinic appointment, follow protocol
- Interested in decreasing perception of tinnitus signal, frustration level
- Able to travel to Oregon in the United States at least once
- Able to maintain regular follow-up contact schedule
- Interested in learning about tinnitus and hyperacusis: self-management
- Able to communicate verbally, some degree of hearing present in at least one ear
- Requires three to four hours at the clinic
- A thorough audiologic evaluation including special test procedures
- Careful, thorough case history, review of medical documents
- Comprehensive case mangement, assessment, evaluation, clinic reports
- Results of testing presented to patient including copies for personal files
- Referrals to otologist as needed, can structure visit to include vestibular and medical evaluations with possible treatments from MD
- Evaluation as described above
- Intensive, directive counseling sessions
- Diagnosis and placement in one of five diagnostic categories
- Treatment planning, discussion with patient and family
- Prescription and fitting of devices, hearing aids, as needed
- 24 month follow-up, frequent telephone contact
- 6 & 12 month re-evaluations in the clinic if possible.
- All adjustments, plan revision, alterations, and more as needed
- Provision of current research, helpful articles, etc. as available
- Kindly, warm, clinical staff and caring audiologist specialist
- Genuine concern about your difficulties and progress.
The treatment protocol usually consists of 2 half-day enrollment sessions. These include a thorough audiological evaluation, initial interview, intensive directive counseling, and a fitting session. Generally, the patient will spend 3-4 hours for counseling, and another 2-3 hours the next day for the fitting of treatment devices or possible hearing aids, if required. Our caring staff will provide you with a personalized treatment program, answer all your questions regarding treatment, and provide ongoing support throughout the entire duration of the program. It is strongly recommended that all patients receive medical clearance prior to admittance.
To achieve the best results, a typical program will take from 18 to 24 months. Frequent follow-ups are part of the program, including telephone contacts and recommended re-evaluations at 6 months, 12 months, and 24 months. Other contacts are welcome and our audiologist guarantees to return a phone call within 24 hours upon an enrolled patient's request.
Significant improvement in current patients has been reported in life enjoyment, as well as a decrease in overall anger and frustration levels. Patients also note an increase in the ability to concentrate on work and enjoy social activities without the dominating presence of tinnitus, while hyperacusis sufferers find they have an improved tolerance for everyday sounds. Dr. Jastreboff's in-house study of over 800 patients, who have completed the program at his clinic, showed an improvement of over 85% in distress level, loudness level, and annoyance level abatement.
Complete cost for the 24 month program is $1800-2850, which includes the $1200 fee for sound therapy devices. Hearing aids may be prescribed and/or the use of environmental noise.
There may be partial insurance coverage for the portion which includes audiological evaluation, etc. We are happy to provide you with CPT codes and billing information for your use.
Payment for the program is expected at the initial admissions appointment. Special assistance or arrangements may be available upon request. Eligibility for special consideration is determined on a case by case basis.
Average program costs are as follows:
Evaluation & Assessment: $150-$460
Pediatric Evaluation: $75-$150
24 Month Follow-up, Initial Directive Counseling: $75 per session or you can purchase a package program that covers unlimited visits for $750.
Sound Therapy Devices:
Bilateral Units that are nearly invisible: a micro BTE with a thin plastic coated flexible plantinum wire-sound tip for maximum function, comfort, and ease of fit. A simple ruler is needed to measure for the size you will need: $2400 per set.
Completely in the Ear hard shelled units, custom designed: $1100 each
Soft Sound Sensitivity Units:
Can use the TRT units above or Open Canal small in the ear unit, hardshelled: $2200 pair
We only use sound therapy units that have been approved for use in TRT programs. As a rule, we do not offer maskers or plain hearing aids.
INSURANCE Programs we participate in as of Nov. 2004:
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Legal Cases including Motor Vehicle Accidents
All patients are expected to pay in full all deductibles, co-pays, difference between allowed charges and reimbursements, and other fees for tests not covered by your insurance. We will do our best to bill the insurer and attempt to recover eligible fees.
Comments, questions? Contact Dr. Marsha Johnson.